Now a certain woman named Lydia heard us. She was a seller of purple from the city of Thyatira, who worshipped God. The Lord opened her heart to heed the things spoken by Paul. And when she and her household were baptized, she begged us, saying, “If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come to my house and stay.” So she persuaded us. — Acts 16: 14–15
Let us allow our faith to be strengthened by word and grace and talk about the gospel with our fellow human beings.
The account of Lydia, the first Christian in Europe, makes the following clear.
- She accepted the messengers of God and the word of God preached by them.
- Thereupon God granted her the gift of faith and allowed her to find Him through His word.
- The word of God strengthens faith and awakens a longing for fellowship with the messengers of God and our fellow brothers and sisters.
- Allow our faith to be strengthened by the word of God.
- Approach our fellow human beings and talk to them about the gospel, so that God can open their hearts too.