The New Apostolic Church in Africa
Evangelist Carl Klibbe came to South Africa in 1889. In East London (near Cape Town), he founded the first congregation on the African continent in 1892. After the turn of the century, some young evangelists moved to Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Durban, Johannesburg, and Kimberly in order to establish congregations in the larger cities of South Africa.
The first church building of the New Apostolic Church in Africa was erected in 1906. Soon thereafter, English and Afrikaans were introduced as the language of divine service. By 1955 there were already three New Apostolic District Churches in Africa. In addition to the District Churches of Cape, South East Africa, and Zambia, all of which have existed for decades, several European District Churches are also involved in missionary activity in Africa today.
With over eight million members, the continent of Africa is home to nearly 80 percent of all New Apostolic Christians and more than half of all the apostles of the New Apostolic Church. Click here for NAC data sheet.
Democratic Republic Congo-West